Norristown Firefighters were initially dispatched to a light pole smoking near Main and Dekalb Sts, however, once on location, not only did they have smoke coming from a light pole, but they also found a man hole cover had been blown off. Crews immediately realized that there was an underground fire and that potentially harmful levels of Carbon Monoxide could be seeping into the nearby buildings.
Crews started checking businesses and found lethal levels of CO. Additional firefighters from Bridgeport, Goodwill, Plymouth, Conshohocken and Plymouth Ambulance assisted with ventilation and evacuations. With crews in service for over four hours, firefighters from East Norriton and Limerick covered other potential alarms for Norristown.
Fortunately no one was found in the businesses affected, however, during the search, crews found high levels of CO in a residential building that was unrelated to the underground fire and the occupants were safely removed.